Eczema is an inflammation of the upper layers of the skin of a chronic form of a neuro-allergic nature, characterized by persistent flow of rashes. Mainly affected face, arms and legs, sometimes rashes can be on the body.
Patients have an increased sensitivity of the skin to the effects of various stimuli, which causes persistent eczema, which is often aggravated by concomitant diseases.
The pathogenesis of the disease is similar to the mechanism of development of allergic dermatitis. Often the latter is a disease preceding the appearance of eczema.
The initial stage of eczema on the legs (see photo) can begin to develop with a combination of several factors. To begin an effective treatment, it is necessary to determine the form of the disease and the cause of its occurrence.
Forms of the disease
Why does eczema on the legs, and what is it? Besides the fact that eczema has various causes of appearance, it is also divided into types. They have some dependence on the pathways and places of localization.
- Varicose. It develops against the background of significant varicose veins, which is accompanied by itching, burning, redness of the skin and its thinning. The legs swell up, ulcers or open wounds appear on the skin.
- True. This kind of foot eczema, unlike the one caused by varicose disease, appears under the influence of external causes. For example, true eczema is often a reaction to allergens or a consequence of chronic diseases. Treatment is to eliminate the root causes, apply ointment and strict adherence to the diet.
- Microbial. Such eczema is accompanied by purulent inflammation, which provokes reddening of the skin and the formation of bubbles. Inside the "boiled" areas is pus. After opening the bubbles, the skin becomes coarse, crusts appear. Become the cause of such eczema on the limbs can extensive wounds, burns, erysipelas. Weeping skin creates discomfort, itchy and frightening.
- Professional. Appears mostly in open areas of the skin as a reaction to the impact of hazards associated with the professional identity of the patient. The diagnosis is set by the occupational pathologist. Each subsequent exacerbation proceeds with greater force, longer in time and harder. Improvement occurs after eliminating the cause of the disease.
- Critical. With it, as with the dyshidrotic form, there is a localization of elements on the soles and palms, the surface (horny) layer of the skin thickens, in the place of the bubbles appear areas of hyperkeratosis, resembling mozozelisti.
Determining the cause is the key point for treating eczema on the legs. Surface exposure without treatment of the underlying disease rarely gives a positive result.
Causes of eczema
The disease appears as a result of prolonged neurosis, stress, if a person has had a viral infection, also due to various chronic diseases, it can be provoked by a pathogen.
- effects on the skin of various allergenic substances;
- contact with chemicals such as gasoline, paint, household chemicals, cosmetic soap;
- changes in humidity, sudden changes in temperature, climate change;
- varicose veins, thrombophlebitis;
- chronic long-term viral disease;
- violation of the internal organs;
- metabolic disorder;
- weakening of the protective function of the body;
- mechanical irritation from wearing woolen clothes;
- fungal diseases;
- nervous breakdown or stressful situation;
- non-healing wounds and sores.
The causes and degree of neglect allow us to precisely coordinate the method of treatment, which will lead to the best result in a relatively short period of time.
Despite the abundance of forms and types of eczematous reactions, there are common symptoms characteristic of eczema:
- In the initial stage, the skin of the foot becomes dry, it cracks noticeably. It begins with the formation of tight nodules, which are gradually grouped.
- Liquid bubbles appear, which burst over time, causing wet spots to appear.
- Sometimes eczema can be in the form of dry cracks in the skin.
- Pigmentation of the skin is observed on the affected areas.
- Eczema on the legs often causes their swelling.
- The patient may experience psychological symptoms such as insomnia, severe irritability, loss of attention, and headache.
The defeat of the skin entails the threat of massive virus infection, as a result of which a deadly form of eczema Kaposha can develop.
Eczema on feet photo: initial stage
Check out the detailed photos to know how eczema looks at the initial stage and not only.
Treatment of eczema on the legs
In the case of eczema on the feet, treatment involves the use of both local and general methods of therapy. Due to the local effects on the lesions, blisters and ulcers heal, the rash disappears, and the goal of general treatment methods is to eliminate internal pathologies.
For the purpose of local therapy, the doctor assesses the stage of the disease and the extent of damage. If the bubbles are intact, it is enough to use special talkers. If the bubbles are damaged and get wet, then you will need to use cooling compresses with a calming effect.
Even if you are sure that you have eczema, you should not forget that there are three types of diseases - true eczema, professional and microbial. And each of these types of eczema requires its own type of treatment, which the dermatologist prescribes after passing the necessary tests.
Regardless of the causes of foot eczema, as well as the main treatment, the patient must adhere to a special diet, which includes a large amount of dairy products and plant foods.
In addition, the patient should completely exclude from the diet such products as alcohol, smoked meats, hot spices, sweet and sour dishes, chemical additives and so on. It is especially important to adhere to a strict diet in the period of exacerbation of the disease.
Among other things, local therapy provides treatment with the help of apparatus therapy. Best relieves eczema:
- laser irradiation.
The doctor usually prescribes ten sessions. The main thing - to visit them all, not missing. Then with each next time the skin on the legs will look better.
Systemic treatment of eczema is based on the use of the following groups of drugs:
- Calcium preparations (Calcinova, Calcemine advance, Calcium gluconate, Calcium D3 nycomed).
- Enterosorbents (Polysorb, Uvirsorb, Enterosgel, plasma replacement solutions).
- Corticosteroids (Diprospan, Prednisolone).
- Antiallergic (Claritin, Erius, Suprastin, Diazolin, Fenkrol).
- Immunomodulators (Pyrogenal, Methyluracil, Timolin, Licopid).
- Soothing (Relax, Persen, Novo-Pasit, Aminazin, etc.).
- Vitamin complexes.
In eczema, antibiotics are used only to treat its microbial variety, as well as in the case of the formation of foci of pustular infection.
How to treat eczema on the legs: a list of ointments
At home, you can use eczema ointment, which should be applied to the affected areas - this is one of the main means of treatment of the disease. How to treat eczema with these drugs - a dermatologist will tell you.
- Prednisolone - contraindicated in diabetes, hypertension and renal failure, as well as during pregnancy. The course of treatment is no more than two weeks, because the remedy is addictive, and can also cause menstrual disorders, weight gain, rash, and a general decrease in immunity.
- Hydrocortisone ointment is one of the most popular remedies for treating eczema. A mother can be prescribed by a doctor for a variety of allergic inflammations on the skin; the drug helps, as a rule, rather quickly. This ointment should be applied with a thin layer to the affected skin. It is important to repeat the procedure about 2-3 times a day.
- Soderm is another popular remedy for eczema. This tool is usually referred to corticosteroid drugs. Soderma glucocorticosteroid activity is 30 times higher than that of the same cortisol. Soderm initially relieves pain and itching. In addition to the positive effect of this tool carries a number of side effects.
Non-hormonal ointment from eczema are prescribed at the initial stage of the disease, with moderate or slight inflammation of the skin.
- Aurobin - ointment, which is used in the early stages of the disease. It perfectly restores the integrity of the skin.
- Dermasan - not recommended during pregnancy, breastfeeding, possible allergic reactions to the components of the ointment, as well as in the presence of open ulcers on the skin. Apply this remedy up to three times a day.
- Skin cap is a very effective ointment for eczema, especially of an infectious nature. It is good because it does not cause side effects and is suitable for all categories of patients. The course of treatment is two weeks.
These ointments can be used for a long period of time, as they are not addictive and do not harm the body, unlike hormonal local preparations.