Probably, each of us knows that the normal body temperature of a healthy person is 36.6 degrees. If it increases, this indicates a pathological condition of the body or the development of a particular disease in it.
What to do when the temperature rises, we all know - to try to understand its main causes, and then bring it down to normal readings with antipyretic drugs or traditional methods.
But there are situations when a person's body temperature is lowered. What to do in this case and what could be the causes of this phenomenon? Let's talk about this in this article.
Diseases that can provoke hypothermia
Low body temperature in humans (35.5 and below) can provoke certain diseases:
- HIV infection;
- cold, flu;
- depression, apathy;
- anorexia, bulimia;
- adrenal pathologies;
- vegetative vascular dystonia;
- oncological diseases;
- thyroid disease;
- hormonal imbalance;
- pathology in the brain;
- bronchitis in acute or chronic forms;
- anemia of various bases and low hemoglobin;
- diabetes in a situation of a sharp drop in blood sugar;
- inflammatory, infectious diseases of various origins;
- various options for internal chronic diseases at the time of their exacerbation.
- state of shock;
- chronic sleep deprivation;
- fasting and tough diets;
- depletion of the internal forces of the body;
- a large amount of alcohol drunk;
- prolonged stress and nervous overstrain.
To know how to eliminate a low temperature, it is necessary to find out the reason for its decrease. If during the day the temperature ranges from 35.8 ° C to 37.1 ° C - this is considered normal. For example, in the morning, the rates are lower than in the evening.
Causes of low body temperature
If you touch the causes of such an unpleasant state of health, which has a lowered temperature of the human body, they are presented below:
- A rather frequent occurrence is a lowered temperature during pregnancy, but usually this condition passes fairly quickly, as the body adapts to another sleep pattern and replenishes those substances that were spent on feeding the fetus.
- Diet. Lack of fat and carbohydrates weakens our body. The temperature begins to decline when the body's reserves are running out, and they are no longer enough for normal life. For normal body temperature you need to eat fully.
- Uncontrolled intake of various medications, including those that depress the work of the central nervous system (sedatives, tranquilizers, antidepressants, barbiturate-based drugs);
- Fatigue, lack of iron in your body, that is anemia. In order to check this, you need to immediately make a complete blood count and clarify the level of hemoglobin.
Often, a decrease in body temperature is accompanied by a disease such as hypothyroidism, which is characterized by functional disorders of the thyroid gland, as well as by the insufficient production of thyroid hormones.
- Severe hypothermia of the body. The most dangerous for the body is the ambient temperature ranging from +10 to -12 degrees. If you stay in such conditions for a long time, supercooling is possible, which will entail a decrease in body temperature.
- A decrease in temperature is characteristic of people suffering from diseases of the adrenal glands. This symptom is especially common in Addison's disease, also called adrenal insufficiency.
- Dehydration is another possible reason for lowering body temperature. Everyone knows about the importance of water for human life, but not all follow to ensure that water enters the body in the quantities necessary for high-quality life activity.
- The causes of this phenomenon may be chronic diseases, namely the moment when they progress. These include vegetative-vascular dystonia.
- Common cold (ARI or ARVI), flu. Oddly enough, these diseases can provoke both an increase and a decrease in temperature.
- A brain tumor that occurs in the hypothalamus, which is responsible for the exchange of heat in the body, also causes chills and, as a result, a decrease in temperature.
Recently, indicators are considered to be the norm from 36.4 ° C to 36.7 ° C, however, normal indicators for each individual person may differ, and different doctors hold different points of view. And it is very important that the definition of "temperature normality" takes into account not certain average figures, but indicators that are peculiar to each individual person.
Symptoms that may indicate a low temperature include:
- loss of appetite;
- increased sleepiness;
- apathetic condition, general malaise;
- inhibition of thought processes;
In a small percentage of people, a decrease in body temperature is the norm, while a person feels well and is completely healthy. But, in most cases, low body temperature indicates possible problems or illnesses.
In order for the body temperature not to drop below normal, it is necessary to exercise more often, take more vitamins, and also monitor your body.
Very beneficial effect on your body proper nutrition, as well as the mode of the day. Try during the working day to arrange yourself a minute of rest, and do not overdo it excessively.
If you feel that your body is on the verge, then experts advise to postpone all affairs and just relax, drink hot tea and sleep, during sleep our body normalizes its work, and the body temperature will rise to normal values.
What to do at low body temperature in humans?
First of all, you need to understand whether a person's temperature reduction is the norm or deviation from it. From the resulting picture it will be more clear what to do in each case, as well as what treatment will be needed.
- If you just measured your body temperature and found a drop in it, without experiencing any other symptoms, then take it easy. Remember if you have recently had ARVI or another infection. Perhaps these are residual effects.
- Hot tea with the addition of honey or currant leaves helps. If not, you can replace the raspberry jam.
- Maybe the reason is abundant airing of the apartment on a frosty day. In this case, you need to close the windows, warm clothes and drink a hot drink.
- Safe means that allow you to normalize the condition at low body temperature of 35.5 (and below) degrees, decoctions and tinctures of ginseng, St. John's wort, echinacea.
- If, in addition to a low temperature, you feel weak, depressed, find many other symptoms, then it is better to consult a specialist.
Most likely, after additional tests, anemia or reduced thyroid function will be found. Appointment of appropriate treatment will help raise the temperature.
If, at a low body temperature, a person does not experience any unpleasant symptoms, is alert and healthy, no pathology was detected during the examinations, and the temperature throughout life remains lower than normal in a healthy person, this can be regarded as a variant of the norm.