A large percentage of people face such a problem as bloating. Most often this symptom occurs in people over thirty years old or in pregnant women. Sometimes it indicates the occurrence of any disease or pathology of internal organs.
The scientific name of this rather unpleasant, but at the same time quite common phenomenon is flatulence. This phenomenon consists in the fact that a sufficiently large amount of gases, liquids and solids accumulates in the intestine, which leads to swelling. In principle, the phenomenon is quite normal, but if it leads to unpleasant or even painful sensations, then we can talk about problems in the body.
In this article we will talk about bloating in adults, consider the main causes of this unpleasant symptom, as well as effective methods of treatment at home.
Causes of bloating in adults
Abdominal distension, the causes of which we will now try to find out, may be permanent or occurring from time to time. The constant increase in volume, as a rule, speaks of diseases of the abdominal cavity, for example, an increase in organs, a tumor, fluid accumulation, obesity. Periodic bloating is caused by indigestion, and may also be accompanied by accumulation of fluid or gases. Permanent abdominal distension differs from periodic in that it does not go through a long period of time.
The causes of intestinal swelling can be very different: from overuse of carbonated drinks and high-fat foods to the presence of a serious disease. Consider the most common:
- If foods that contain a lot of fiber are constantly present in the diet, gases are formed in the body. Carbohydrates are easily digested and start the fermentation process, which results in heaviness and bloating. Therefore, we must be careful with the use of legumes, apples, eggs, black bread and kvass, and even cabbage.
- Bloating after eating. By consuming food, a person in the process swallows some air. In a hurry, a quick snack, for someone who likes to talk while eating, the stomach is filled with much more air than it should be. This leads to a feeling of an overcrowded gastrointestinal tract. Gases can cause nausea, sharp, short-term pain.
- Too much food. This is one of the main causes of bloating and occurs when too much food is eaten at a time. Too much salt, foods high in salt like chips can cause flatulence. Foods high in sodium cause the body to retain water and cause bloating.
- Irritable stomach syndrome. If intestinal motility is impaired, and its movements become out of line and chaotic, then this disease occurs. At the same time, the intestine may look perfectly normal. A person suffering from this ailment suffers from frequent pains, periodically there are desires for a chair or opposite constipation.
- Very often we can observe bloating in colitis, chronic pancreatitis, enteritis, gastritis. Thus, you can even sometimes diagnose the presence of certain diseases in yourself. For example, if the stomach is swollen immediately after you have taken a meal, then you can be sure that there is gastritis or pancreatitis.
- Intestinal dysbacteriosis causes increased gas formation in the colon. In the large intestine, microbes are normally contained, they are useful for us, as they protect our body from other harmful microbes. When the protective properties of the body fall, foreign microbes appear in the intestines with their own methods of digesting food (rotting and fermentation), which is accompanied by the formation of large amounts of gas, often with a fetid odor, since these gases include methane, hydrogen sulfide and ammonia.
- Also quite often abdominal distention occurs during pregnancy. In the early stages, this may be due to the increased content of progesterone in the body, which provokes not only relaxation of the uterus muscles, but also reduces the motor function of the intestine and stomach. In the third trimester, a significant increase in the uterus can lead to this.
- Causes may also be congenital deficiency of digestive enzymes, poor diet, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Constipation. Typically, this happens when you have a low fiber intake in your diet, or you do not drink enough fluids to ease regular stools.
In addition to all of the above diseases, illnesses such as blockage of the urinary tract system, diverticulitis, appendicitis, ulcers and gallstone disease can lead to bloating.
Causes of Continuous Abdominal Distension
If we consider the causes of constant bloating in patients, then almost always they lie in their diseases. So, this symptom affects people if they have diseases:
- cirrhosis of the liver;
If we consider the provoking factors for healthy people, we can distinguish:
- improper food intake, swallowing large portions with poor chewing;
- consumption of foods with a high starch content;
- addiction to sweets and flour;
- soda consumption.
As is the case with the accompanying symptoms, you can get rid of increased gas formation by completely curing the underlying disease, or by adjusting your diet.
When abdominal bloating occurs, characteristic symptoms appear in a person:
- feeling of bursting and heaviness;
- aching pains or colic in various parts of the abdomen.
Intestinal colic is usually after the discharge of gases. In addition, if there is a large amount of gas in the intestine, nausea, constipation or diarrhea, an unpleasant taste in the mouth, anorexia, an eructation, an unpleasant smell from the mouth can appear.
Consult your doctor if bloating is accompanied by such problems:
- Severe, prolonged or recurring pain in the abdomen.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Blood in the stool.
- Weight loss
- Temperature rise.
- Chest pain.
It is worth knowing that with prolonged digestive disorders accompanied by increased gas formation, signs of intoxication appear - general weakness, insomnia, malaise, irritability, depression, headaches, heart rhythm disturbances, shortness of breath, and so on.
Before determining how to treat bloating, it is worth undergoing examination and determine the causes of its occurrence. First of all, attention should be paid to the diet and food intake. This will help determine which foods could lead to increased gas formation.
Then the attending physician will refer you to:
- analysis of feces for intestinal microflora;
- bile examination;
- gastric juice research;
- bacterial feces analysis;
- ultrasound examination of the digestive system.
Depending on the diagnostic data obtained, as well as the severity of symptoms of flatulence, the treatment regimen is determined.
Abdominal Bloating Treatment
As with any disease, the primary cause in the treatment of abdominal distention is the elimination of the cause of increased gas formation:
- power correction;
- treatment of the underlying disease;
- restoration of motor function (by assigning prokinetics);
- treatment of intestinal microflora imbalance (probiotics, biologics, herbal medicine);
- removal of accumulated gases from the intestinal lumen.
At home, you should normalize your diet. Exclude from the diet products that in the process of digestion emit a large amount of gases. This is cabbage, legumes, rice, whole milk. Eat whole-grain bread, dairy products, fresh vegetables and fruits on a regular basis.
Start doing daily exercises and take it as a rule to walk at least 3 km per day. If you do not have any serious diseases of internal organs, then this program will help you to get rid of bloating.
The treatment of abdominal distention caused by intestinal dysbacteriosis, gastritis, peptic ulcer or enterocolitis, is reduced to the treatment of the disease itself, initiating meteorism. With flatulence, which is a consequence of chronic pancreatitis, i.e. pancreatic enzyme deficiencies are treated with preparations containing these enzymes.
Modern pharmacology offers such tablets for the treatment of abdominal distention at home:
- Activated charcoal released in pill form. For flatulence, this medicine is taken on the eve of food, 1 to 3 pcs. Children under 7 years, give 1 to 2 tablets. They are washed down with ordinary boiled water;
- Espumizan and other drugs based on simethicone. Take Espumizan in the form of capsules or emulsion, two or three times a day with meals, sometimes it is recommended to take this medication before bedtime. Espumisan can also be used to relieve episodic gas buildup in the intestines, which has occurred due to eating disorders, during the postoperative period or with constipation.
- The composition of tablets for intestinal bloating called "White coal" is based on dietary fiber. As they swell, they absorb many toxins and gases. Take them before meals for 1 - 2 pcs.
It should be borne in mind that the above-mentioned intestinal adsorbents are drugs with surface activity that can collect gases, but they will not solve the main cause of flatulence. Therefore, these tablets can be used only with symptomatic treatment, in the case of violations of the diet: with overeating, poisoning, use of dairy products with lactose deficiency. These situations are not chronic, and flatulence is just an unpleasant symptom that can be easily removed with a pill for bloating.
Well help to cope with bloating such popular recipes:
- Parsley decoction - 20 g of the fruit of the plant pour 1 tbsp of warm water, hold for a couple for about 30 minutes, cool. Strain and consume 1 tablespoon 4-5 times a day;
- Dill water - 1 tablespoon of dried dill seeds pour 1 table boiling water, leave for 1-2 hours, strain and take 1/4 cup 2-3 times a day;
- Wormwood decoction - 1 hl of dry grass, pour 1 tablespoon of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes, strain, cool and take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day before meals.
If the swelling is not caused by malnutrition, but is the result of a disease, then the cause of flatulence should be treated by consulting a doctor.