Acyclovir is a drug that has an antiviral effect, mainly aimed at the herpes simplex virus and shingles.
This ointment inhibits DNA synthesis of the pathogen, the listed diseases. Suppresses the process of the emergence of new elements of herpes sores, reduces the risk of complications, reduces pain in the acute period of the disease, contributes to a more rapid formation of crusts.
On this page you will find all the information about acyclovir: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Aciclovir ointment. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Antiviral drug for local use.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Acyclovir in the form of ointment? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 20 rubles.
Release form and composition
Two types of ointment are produced, which are separated depending on the concentration of the active substance - actually acyclovir.
- 5% - is used for external use on more resistant skin and mucous membranes.
- 3% - for the treatment of eye mucosa.
The most common form of release - ointment, but the drug is in the form of a cream, tablets and solution for injection, but in this form it is used much less frequently.
The main active ingredient of the ointment is acyclovir, belonging to the group of synthetic analogues deoxyguanidine. This substance is a component of DNA. Acyclovir is active against herpes simplex viruses of the first and second type, which cause not only herpes, but also shingles, and chicken pox. The ointment exhibits moderate activity when exposed to Epstein-Barr viruses and cytomegalovirus.
After applying to the skin, acyclovir ointment penetrates directly into the infected cells of the microorganism, that is, the virus. In cells, acyclovir interacts with the enzymes of viruses, disrupts their normal development, and thus the pathogen reproduction chain is interrupted. The drug has no effect on healthy cells.
Indications for use
Acyclovir's instruction states that the ointment is effective against the following ailments:
- chicken pox;
- herpes keratitis;
- any infectious lesions of the skin caused by herpes Herpes Simplex type 1 and 2;
- chronic and primary herpes on the mucous membranes of the lips and genitals;
- cytomegalovirus lesions;
- with the defeat of the skin of patients after surgery;
- for the prevention of herpes lesions of the skin and mucous patients with severe lesions of the immune system due to chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
Acyclovir in the form of an ointment is not prescribed in the event that the body is sensitive to the main component of the drug or to the auxiliary ingredients.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Use of the drug during pregnancy is possible if the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the possible risk to the fetus.
The drug is found in breast milk after entering the systemic circulation of the mother, so for the period of treatment, breastfeeding should be stopped.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Acyclovir in the form of an ointment is used to treat herpes and lichen on the lip, in the intimate area, on the membranes of mucous membranes and on other skin areas.
Recommendations for use:
- Therapy should begin, noticing the initial symptoms - burning, itching, redness. If herpetic vesicles have already appeared, it is important to avoid breaking them so as not to spread the infection further during treatment.
- To prevent the spread of the virus is also necessary to use a cotton swab or gloves (all disposable) for applying the cream.
- The affected area and a small area around (up to 5 mm) is covered with a thin layer of cream every 4 hours, except for 8 hours of sleep at night.
- On average, the infectious process stops for 5 days, but with extensive inflammation, an increase of up to 10 days is required.
Eye ointment Acyclovir in the form of a 1 cm long strip is inserted into the lower conjunctival sac 5 times a day (every 4 hours) until healing. Treatment continues for 3 days after healing.
The use of topical ointment can cause the following side effects:
- Allergic reactions - urticaria, allergic dermatitis, blurred vision when laying the ointment in the conjunctival sac, eyelid edema, keratopathy, blepharitis, conjunctivitis.
- On the part of the skin - itching, burning, soreness, redness, increased rash.
Being one of the very first antiviral drugs, Acyclovir ointment brings the greatest effect on primary lesions of the herpes virus when treatment is started in the early stages of the disease. About 60% of patients with a recurrent form of the disease suffer from reduced immunity, against the background of which the infection has developed, therefore, for the best effect, dermatologists prescribe immunostimulants and immunomodulators together with Aciclovir cream.
When applying the ointment to the conjunctival sac, temporary visual impairment is possible, which can affect the ability to adequately control vehicles and complex mechanical devices, so after getting Acyclovir ointment in the eye, it is better to wait for a while until the vehicle resolves before driving the car. In addition, you need to look at the release date in order not to use the medicine that has expired.
The simultaneous use of ointment Acyclovir with other antiviral drugs orally enhance the therapeutic effect of the ointment.
Simultaneous external use of ointment with acyclovir tablets increases the risk of side effects with incorrectly calculated dosage of the drug.
We picked up some reviews of people about the drug Acyclovir in the form of ointment:
- Masha. Herpes often bothers me, especially after or during a cold. It manifests itself mainly on the lips and on the nasal septum. I was looking for an effective ointment, the pharmacy offered an inexpensive drug acyclovir, which I used regularly, according to the instructions, treating the affected areas several times a day. But, unfortunately, she did not get the expected effect - that with the ointment, that without it, the duration of the infection course is the same.
- Svetlana I have a relapse of genital herpes almost every spring and autumn. During this period, I drink the medications prescribed by the doctor and at the same time I apply Aciclovir cream, it is well absorbed and significantly reduces discomfort.
- Lana Hello! Previously, Herpes tortured me very often, you just have to catch a cold, like those for you .... on the lip pops this bjaka. But after the recommendation of the doctor, I began to use Gerpferon (Acyclovir is a part), now I have herpes no more than 1-2 times a year. Usually it is autumn and spring, it is worth to wear our lips - bang !!! The next day, wait - here he is. Or from the nerves. It comes out only on the lower lip. Good ointment, and helps quickly, 2-3 days and everything went. I am very pleased, I advise everyone to try someone who has the same problems! Now herpes is not a problem for me.
- Marina. Unfortunately, I have a herpes virus and occasionally makes itself felt. Previously used the cream Acyclovir, but he began to help badly. Then I switched to ointment, in which the concentration of the drug is twice as high. The ointment effectively removes the rash and is therefore always in my purse. I am glad that the drug is harmless and you can use it with almost no restrictions. In addition, he raises local immunity, as a result, I am protected for some time from repeated manifestations ...
The most well-known and often prescribed analogues of ointment Acyclovir on the active component:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children, at a temperature not higher than 25 ° C. Shelf life 3 years.