Ophthalmoferon (trade name Oftalmoferon) belongs to the group of antiviral drugs that are used for local use in ophthalmology.
The drug is made on the basis of recombinant alpha-2b interferon (not less than 10,000 IU / ml) and is intended for the treatment of eye diseases of viral nature. Eye drops have the form of a colorless transparent viscous liquid that does not contain any third-party inclusions.
The use of the drug in complex therapy is based on the treatment of inflammatory eye diseases of viral or microbial etiology (herpetic manifestations, adenovirus and enterovirus, conjunctivitis, keratitis, uveitis, iridocyclitis, and other diseases).
Antiviral drug for local use in ophthalmology.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much do Ophthalmoferon drops in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 320 rubles.
Release form and composition
Oftalmoferon released in the form of eye drops (transparent solution with a yellowish tinge) with a content of 1 ml:
- 10 thousand IU of interferon alfa-2a;
- 1 mg diphenhydramine.
Also included in the composition of the drug are auxiliary components: macrogol 4000, disodium edetate, boric acid, povidone 8000, sodium chloride, hypromellose, sodium acetate, and purified water.
On 5 ml and 10 ml in polymeric bottles droppers.
The action of the drug due to the specific properties of the three components that are part of. Drops containing human recombinant interferon exhibit antiviral as well as antimicrobial activity, with regular use an anesthetic effect is observed. In addition, the drug exhibits pronounced antihistamine properties (due to the presence of Dimedrol), relieves local inflammation, improves regeneration processes in the tissues of the eye, and contributes to the improvement of local immune protection.
Drops have a local effect, against the background of the application, activation of local reparative processes in corneal tissues is observed, inflammation caused by pathogenic microorganisms or after surgery is eliminated.
Indications for use
Antiviral eye drops Ophthalmoferon, according to the instructions for use, are prescribed during anti-inflammatory therapy for conjunctivitis and keratitis of a bacterial or other nature, for herpes infection of the eye. Indications for use are:
- herpetic uveitis or keratouveveitis;
- dry eye syndrome (dry keratoconjunctivitis);
- adenoviral, hemorrhagic (enteroviral), herpetic conjunctivitis;
- allergic conjunctivitis;
- vesicular, punctate, potato, tree, herpetic keratitis;
- adenoviral or herpetic keratoconjunctivitis;
- complications after excimer laser cornea surgery.
Ophthalmoferon is not prescribed for individual intolerance to any of the components of the drug, as well as to patients with severe allergic diseases.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The drug acts topically and the active substances are practically not absorbed into the systemic circulation, even with prolonged therapy. The experience of using the drug among pregnant women and nursing mothers is insufficient and the safety of the drug has not been established.
The question of the possibility of treatment with drops for pregnant women and patients who are breastfeeding a baby should be decided individually with a doctor.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that Ophthalmoferon is used intraconjunctivally.
Recommended dosing regimens:
- Dry eye syndrome: 1-2 drops, 2 times a day, daily for 25-30 days;
- Viral lesions of adults in children and adults: the initial (acute) stage - 1-2 drops in the conjunctival sac up to 6-8 times per day. As the inflammatory process is relieved, the frequency of instillations is gradually reduced to 2–3 times a day, until the symptoms of the disease disappear;
- Prevention and treatment of complications after excimer laser refractive surgery of the cornea: 1-2 drops 2 times a day, starting from the day of surgery, with a course of 10 days;
- Prevention of recurrence of herpetic keratitis and graft disease after keratoplasty: 1-2 drops in the operated eye 3-4 times a day for 2 weeks after surgery.
When using the drug according to the instructions side effects do not occur.
The manufacturer does not mention the cases of the negative impact on the patient's body of an overdose of drops.
Ophthalmoferon can be instilled into patients using contact lenses only after removing the lenses. You can wear them 15-20 minutes after the procedure.
Since immediately after instillation a blurred vision can occur, the vehicles can only be controlled after full restoration of vision.
The drug Ophthalmoferon is compatible as well as well combined with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, reparative, corticosteroid ophthalmologic forms of drugs and tear replacement therapy.
It is not recommended to combine the use of the drug Ophthalmoferon with alcohol.
We picked up some reviews of people who used Ophthalmoferon drops:
- Lucy It was an inflammation of the eye, made various lotions, brought the infection. Hectamethasone was prescribed for 1 h / 3 h, and ophthalmoferon 15 minutes after hectametoson. There were no side effects, everything went very quickly. Once again, when the eye became inflamed, the people didn’t use it, immediately bought these two drugs, everything went two days later.
- Dasha. My husband was diagnosed with allergic conjunctivitis. Prescribed oftalmoferon. A week dripping, the first 3 days dripping every two hours. And then I started after 3-4. Not yet helped. Even more itchy eyes. And there is pus.
- Marina. During allergic conjunctivitis, this remedy dripped three times a day, as prescribed by an ophthalmologist. Symptoms disappeared after a week of application, the total duration of the course was three weeks, during treatment an unpleasant feeling of the film on the eye periodically occurred, which interfered with reading and driving.
In the absence of a therapeutic effect or the appearance of an allergic reaction during the course of treatment, the doctor may recommend replacement of the drug. Drugs for antiviral treatment of eye diseases, both on the basis of interferon, and on the basis of other active substances are on the pharmacological market.
Ophthalmoferon analogues are agents with an identical mechanism of action, these include:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Ophthalmoferon should be stored at a temperature of 2-8 ° C in a dark place. Shelf life - 2 years. The opened bottle needs to be stored no more than 30 days.
Do not use the drug after the expiration date indicated on the package.